Re: Command to get tape capacity status?

Scott R. Ehrlich wrote:
I have an Overland tape library connected, via SCSI card, to an out-of-box, full install of C5 install on an old PC.

I have a script that uses tar to archive data to tape and mtx to change tapes. What I don't know, if possible, is to obtain the status of how much tape is left in the drive. If I get a write failure, I'd like to know if the tape is bad or has run out of space.

you can retrieve the current block number with the comand if you're using the non-rewind device:

tar cf /dev/nst0 file1 file2 ....   # your tar command
mt -f /dev/nst0 tell                # tell which is the current block

Pierre Bourgin