Re: yum dependency problem

Jim Perrin wrote:
On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 6:20 AM, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Oh, I thought yum had a different cache / database of what is installed?

Yum keeps a cache and database of what's in the repositories, so it
can search more easily when you're looking to install something from
the repositories. When it comes to the actual install/removal of
applications, that gets farmed out to rpm, so as Ralph stated: with
the exception of depsolving, yum remove and rpm -e do the same thing.

but then Fred's machine shouldn't have tried to update openoffice?

I hear what Jim is saying with "You'll have to add an exclude=openoffice* line to your yum.conf or base and updates repositories." but that's not practical - this means everyone has to add that exclude line to their yum.conf if they remove stuff they don't want anymore. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it shouldn't work like that

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Web:   http://www.SoftDux.com