Re: Help in troubleshoot cause of high kernel activity

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 6:37 PM, Johnny Hughes <johnny@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Well .. top says you have 4 processes running ... if that is consistent
(4 processes always in a run state) then you should be able to determine
the running processes with the command:

ps -ef r

(I think)

I would think one of always running processes is the one that is taking
up CPU time.

Also while in top, <Shift>-H might show some hidden threads in the output.

Thanks for the advise although I never got a chance to use it.

For some inexplicable Murphy-like reason, the server load went back to normal levels shortly after I sent off the email to the list.

The only possible explanation I could think of was that I killed the setroubleshootd process because it froze up after I tried to fiddle with the SELinux settings. There was some error in the log about unable to connect to the audit socket.

After observing the back to normal loads for a few hours to confirm it wasn't a momentarily drop, I restarted the setroubleshootd process and yet the load remain normal.

So my current uneducated guess is that the barrage of undeliverable email messages on the very first day caused SELinux to choke on a system/kernel level until the reporting daemon was killed to whatever was getting tied up to move on?