Re: OpenGL and CAD Apps

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 at 10:05am, Joseph L. Casale wrote

I am likely going to switch a desktop over from Windows to either CentOS or Fedora and run two CAD apps that now have Linux ports. I was wondering as I can't seem to find much specific info about the support of OpenGL in RH based OS's. Does CentOS support this out of the box or do I need to do anything with it?

Both Fedora and CentOS support GL out of the box. However you do have to be careful about your grahpics hardware in order to get hardware-accelerated 3D. Certain older ATI cards have open-source 3D support built right into the distro. For most newer cards, however, you'll need to use closed-source drivers from ATI or nvidia.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin