Re: Xen3.2 rpm's?

Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
Rudi Ahlers wrote:
Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
Rudi Ahlers wrote:
Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
Rudi Ahlers wrote:
Hi

Does anyone know when the Xen3.2 rpm's will be part of the CentOS repo's?
CentOS 6 probably.

Upstream really can't change the Xen hypervisor too much within
a release as that goes against the distribution's philosophy.

If you really want Xen 3.2, why not download the CentOS 5 rpms
from xen.org and use it. It works transparently with the CentOS
kernel package and updates the CentOS Xen packages.

Just remember to change the Xen kernel name in grub each time
the CentOS kernel changes! I still forget to do this and it
bites me all the time :-(
Cause I want to use it on a kickstart file, but someone on the kickstart list just showed me how to install those rpm's from the kickstart file, so I'll try that and see what hapens.

Do I still use the xen-2.6.18-53 kernel? kernel-xen-2.6.18-53.1.6.el5.x86_64.rpm
Yes, continue to use the CentOS supplied kernels.

What do you mean I need to rename it in the grub menu? What happens if I don't?
Here's what I mean, when you install a CentOS Xen kernel the grub
menu for that kernel will look like this:

title CentOS (2.6.18-53.1.14.el5.centos.plusxen)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /xen.gz-2.6.18-53.1.14.el5.centos.plus
        module /vmlinuz-2.6.18-53.1.14.el5.centos.plusxen ro root=/dev/CentOS/root
        module /initrd-2.6.18-53.1.14.el5.centos.plusxen.img

You need to change the 'kernel /xen.gz-2.6.18-53.1.14.el5.centos.plus'
to read 'kernel /xen.gz-3.2'

If you don't do this xend will fail to run and your domains will
fail to start because the userland tools are expecting a Xen 3.2
kernel and you will have a Xen 3.1 kernel running.
Ok, I see what you say. Not too familiar with grub menu, what exactly does that do? Does it just rename it, or does it tell the system to load a different file?

Grub is what CentOS uses to determine which kernel file to start.

The change will force grub to load the Xen 3.2 kernel instead of
the Xen 3.1 kernel that the CentOS Xen kernel packages come with.

-Ross

Ok, that I understand. So, do I still need to install the default Xen kernel from the CD than?

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Web:   http://www.SoftDux.com