Re: new CentOS5.1, samba help requested

on 3-27-2008 3:07 PM John spake the following:
On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 14:56 -0700, Scott Silva wrote:

Anne, I think your directories are not visable because you do not have
"browsable  = yes" in the share setups section??? Try that?
If you set browsable to yes, then EVERYBODIES home directories show up.
That is not usually what you want. If you want to share everything, just make one share and put everything under it.

OK so when user mode is used your saying the directory is only viewable
by the current user logged in and all of them is Viewable by root?
Correct??
No. Since the admin user should already know who is on the system, you can do a \\servername\username and get into their shares. But that is another book of magic. Samba really has a different concept of root, and you have to map into the admin group in the samba world.

I know the books are long, but you really need to go through the basic chapters and examples in the samba-3 by example book (on line and free) at http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/index.html

Set up a test system and play with the configs. You can set up a virtual machine if you don't have extra stuff to play on. I still do it on my laptop sometimes (I have a fairly beefy laptop with 1.5 gigs of ram, so I can learn on my time).

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and