Re: Two Internet connections...

on 3-26-2008 12:27 PM Frank Cox spake the following:
I do some occasional tech work for a cable TV/Internet service provider.  They
have now offered me free services, including cable Internet.  I currently have a
DSL service through the telephone company and, for several reasons including the
fact that it is really unlimited service with no cap and it comes with newsgroup
access (neither of which the cable service has), I'm not really prepared to
give that up.

However, since I can get a free cable Internet service too I would like to be
able to put that to use.

Does anyone have any good ideas for what to do with an extra cable Internet
service?  Is there, say, a way to somehow "shotgun" two Internet services like
you used to be able to do with dial-up modems to increase your transmission
speed?

Bonding will only work if the connections terminate at the same place on BOTH ends. Since you are basically using 2 ISP's, that won't work. If you can find a load balancing router someplace, it can send different connections out different ports and keep track of what goes where. But the cost won't be cheap, and I don't know of any consumer level routers that do this. You might be able to get it working with Vyatta and a dedicated computer with multiple ethernet ports.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and