Re: Re: Recommendations for a "real RAID" 1 card on Centos box

Scott Silva wrote:

The software raid implementation in windows is a far cry from the linux version. Windows can't boot from their "dynamic" arrays, linux can.

When did that start - or are you just looking at the non-server versions? I don't have it around now, but I'm fairly sure I was able to take a windows 2000 server and have it clone itself to a VMware appliance setup that first exported an iscsi partition, then after the software mirroring completed, booted from it. And unlike linux, the windows version was able to convert a running non-mirrored partition into a dynamic disk, and then mirror it.

And the raid in linux is more transparent to the software, as the linux raid is just another device as far as the software is concerned. The kernel keeps full isolation and control.

I don't remember seeing anything change after the disk conversion in windows.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx