DNS Caching for a satellite link

I'm on a satellite link, and I've got a caching DNS server set up. Several popular sites have very short DNS cache times set in their SOA records, and I'm trying to over-ride them so that our link isn't swamped with DNS queries. Anybody know how to force the DNS cache to hang onto the info longer than the SOA TTL?

Yes, I know the arguments against doing this, but in this particular instance it makes sense.

I'm using CentOS 5 and bind 9.9.3.

Thanks!

Also, do caching web proxies like Squid still speed up the web experience over a slow link what with all of the dynamic content on the web these days?

Ben Weiss

--
BENJAMIN J WEISS
CPT, SC