XFCE, was: pdflatex: fuzzy fonts in Evince, but not on paper output

On Sat, 8 Mar 2008, Niki Kovacs wrote:

R P Herrold a écrit :
known issue; using a similar creation chain, see the xpdf (left) and Evince (right) rendering of the same file:
  https://bugzilla.redhat.com/attachment.cgi?id=291595

Curiously enough, the problem disappears when I just leave out \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} and don't specify anything.

interesting ... I commented out '\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}', rebuilt my sample case filed in that bug, and at 400% I do not get jaggies any more either:
	http://www.herrold.com/evince-400.jpg

So the takeaway is that evince does not handle explicit font encodings as well as xpdf; because font encodings are a fact of life, that may help the upstream 'fix' evince's rendering when 'fontenc' is present.

I have updated my upstream bug with new attachments. Thank you.

That's one reason why I turned my back on both GNOME and KDE, and opted for XFCE which is so much more modular and tools-philosophy-compliant in its approach. I'm using plain GTK apps as much as I can, so yeah, why not xpdf...

I am a long time, and well known XFCE adherent and advocate in the CentOS IRC channel, and before. Some screenshots over tiem:
	http://www.herrold.com/axis2100-webcam.png
		(custom thin client distro for a client's
		call center, partially based on RHL 7.2 and
		LTSP)
	http://www.owlriver.com/support/wings/sparc-xfce.png
		(pre CentOS, unnamed personal distribution on
		Sparc based on Aurora 1, pre RHL 8)
	http://www.herrold.com/snapshot31.png
		(on cAos 1, which had centos as a sub project
		back a the very beginnings of centos
		-- HORRIBLE fonting in that X-top was the
		reason for the shot)
	http://www.herrold.com/caos2-xfce.png
		(on cAos 2 -- fonting issues solved, and
		centos up and starting)
	http://www.herrold.com/xfce-406-centos34.png
		(early centos)
	http://www.herrold.com/xfce42-centos5.jpg
		(today with a couple of xpdf, and a
		freedesktop.org 'brag' shot up)

As you are probably aware, at XFCE 4 became an 'early adopter' of those standards.
	http://www.xfce.org/about/
and 'aims to be fast and lightweight' unlike, say, evince, which tries to be a universal 'Swiss Army' document 'knife' ;)

XFCE forever

- Russ herrold