Re: Slightly OT: How to learn UNIX

Andreas Pedersen wrote:
I'm also interested into learning more about other system as well, my
question is what should I take a closer look in Solaris?
Things like why people choose Solaris over Linux.

we use Solaris and AIX for our large scale database servers. these often have 32 or more risc processors, and multiple fiberchannel interfaces to SAN storage.

our experience is, Solaris and AIX both perform better than linux under heavy IO workloads, and scales to larger servers than are practical with Linux. Some tasks just don't cluster well, a large highly relational database being one of them.