Re: Slightly OT: How to learn UNIX

Peter Arremann wrote:
On Thursday 06 March 2008, Ugo Bellavance wrote:
Oh, great,  any ideas about other Unix flavors? (AIX, HP-UX)

If I were you, I would forget about AIX at least at the beginning until you are solid with Solaris and HP-UX. Yes, it has good market share, but it is too different from everything else.

Ok

Until recently I was a lead over a 8 person Unix admin team and our policy was to always hire people with little experience and then move them up as they learn stuff. I usually started them on Solaris 9. It is the closest to Linux (which most had experience with). Then we went on to Solaris 10 - SMF and so on are a big step forward but you will still find a ton of pre Sol10 out there, so if you don't have Solaris 9 or prior experience, you're not quite there.

Ok, what about opensolaris?  Is

Then, the next step is HP-UX. You can get a C3xx0 or J6xx0 on ebay for little money these days. PA-RISC is dead, but once the OS is booted, there aren't that many differences between running on Itanium or PA-RISC. Finally, if they got that far, we would add some AIX. AIX is very different from what you would expect in a Unix flavor, ODM and all, but then again, Solaris 10 has moved quite a bit away from being a traditional Unix too.
Peter.

Thanks for your great advice,
Ugo