Re: Slightly OT: How to learn UNIX

On Mar 6, 2008, at 7:02 AM, Ugo Bellavance wrote:

I was wondering what would be the best way to learn AIX, Solaris, or HP-UX, for someone who knows Linux very well? Books? Courses? Self-teaching in a home lab?

in addition to the other suggestions, i recommend a copy of Evi Nemeth's "Unix System Administration Handbook" (http://www.admin.com/ Pages/USAH.html). one of the distinguishing features of this book is that for each topic it provides configuration examples for several different UNIX variants, highlighting the differences and similarities.

the current edition is the Third; you may also be interested in the Second edition, which covers some more proprietary UNIX variants.

-steve

--
If this were played upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an improbable fiction. - Fabian, Twelfth Night, III,v