Re: ipw3945 wireless not working

Progress...

Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 9:30 AM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This is a new Centos 5.1 install on a HP nc2400 (that use to run XP).
 Completely clean install; blew away the XP partitions...

 After applying all the updates, and configuring for the rpmforge repo, I
 used yumex to install dkms and the dkms-ipw3945, ipw3945-firmware, and
 ipw3945d rpms.

 lsmod|grep ipw    shows:

 ipw3945          180391   1
 ieeee80211      33417   1   ipw3945

 and dmesg)grep ipw   shows:

 well a bunch of lines about the card including one with the Radio
 Frequency Kill Swithc is On

Check to see if the physical switch is turned on. As long as the
system thinks the Kill Switch is on it won't show up in Network
Manager. [Having spent an hour debugging this a couple of months ago.]
Basically it comes down to the first question of support: Is it
plugged in? At the moment the computer does not think so.
There is NO physical switch. XP had some way of enabling the radio. So I went into the bios and played around a bit. Tried an option and now NetworkManager sees the card!

But when I enter my WPA passphrase, I keep going back to being asked for the passphrase :(

I noticed that NetworkManager is using eth1 for the the wireless interface, not wifi0 that I put into modprobe.conf (alias wifi0 ipw3945).

I tried to use wpa_supplicant deamon as I do on my nc4010 that has an atheros pci card. man wpa_supplicant lists ipw as a valid device, but when I supply this, i get

Unsupported driver 'ipw'

SO why does it not like my passphrase that works just fine with my nc4010 and its ahteros card? Granted theweak passphrase I am using fails password checkers, but still.....

Or how to use wpa_supplicant instead of NetworkManager (which is pretty cool, where is its config files).