Re: LVM and kickstarts ?

Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
Michael Gale wrote:
Hey,

So I have created another kickstart that I believe should be correct and it fails the same way with the same problems:

--snip--
zerombr yes
clearpart --all --initlabel
part /boot --fstype ext3 --size=100
part swap --size=1000
part pv.os --size=8000 --grow --maxsize=8000 --asprimary
volgroup os_volgroup01 pv.os
logvol / --fstype ext3 --name=os_root --vgname=os_volgroup01 --size=1024 --grow
--snip--

How about:

--snip--
zerombr yes
clearpart --all --initlabel
part /boot --fstype ext3 --size=100 --asprimary
part swap --size=1000
part pv.os --size=8000
volgroup os_volgroup01 pv.os
logvol / --fstype ext3 --name=os_root --vgname=os_volgroup01 --size=1024 --grow
--snip--

I removed the '--grow' and '--maxsize' options from the pv.os partition setup as
you know what the size you want it to be, there is no need for these. I also
moved the --asprimary option to the /boot partition, really only /boot needs to
be --asprimary, and then again you really only need that if you have existing
partitions on disk that are being preserved, which with 'clearpart --all' you
won't have.

I would put swap into the volgroup though as there is no need for a completely
separate swap partition anymore. In fact swap files work just as well these
days as swap partitions or swap logical volumes, but anaconda still needs a
swap partition or logical volume, so create a swap logical volume, then you
can extend it later if necessary or create a swapfile and move over to that.

-Ross

Michael
Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
Michael Gale wrote:
Hey,

Can anyone tell me why option 1 works and option 2 fails ? I know I need swap and such, however in trouble shooting this issue I trimmed down my config.

It fails on trying to format my logical volume, because the mount point does not exist (/dev/volgroup/logvol)

It seems that with option 2, the partitions are created and LVM is setup correctly. However the volgroup / logvolume was not made active, so my /dev/volgroup/logvol did not exist.

Running `lvm lvchange -a -y pathname` from with in the shell after anaconda failed made the volgroup / logvol active. Which would allow the format command to complete.

Option 1:
zerombr yes
clearpart --all --initlabel
part /boot --fstype ext3 --size=100
part pv.os --size=10000 --grow --maxsize=10000 --asprimary
volgroup os_volgroup01 pv.os
logvol swap --fstype swap --name=os_swap_logvol --vgname=os_volgroup01 --recommended
logvol / --fstype ext3 --name=os_root --vgname=os_volgroup01 --size=1024 --grow

Option 2:
zerombr yes
clearpart --all --initlabel
part /boot --fstype ext3 --size=100
part pv.os --size=10000 --grow --maxsize=10000 --asprimary
volgroup os_volgroup01 pv.os
logvol / --fstype ext3 --name=os_root --vgname=os_volgroup01 --size=1024 --grow
I do this through kickstart and here's what I use:

bootloader --location=mbr
zerombr yes
clearpart --linux --initlabel --drives=sda
part /boot --fstype ext3 --size=128 --ondisk=sda --asprimary
part pv.0 --size=0 --grow --ondisk=sda
volgroup CentOS --pesize=32768 pv.0
logvol / --fstype ext3 --name=root --vgname=CentOS --size=4096 --grow --maxsize=16384
logvol swap --fstype swap --name=swap --vgname=CentOS --size=1024 --grow --maxsize=2048

I haven't tried without swap and I think anaconda expects there to be a swap definition
in kickstart, so that might be it, lv wasn't activated because swap was missing.

Best I can think of.

Hey,

So I copied the example you provided and it still failed in the same way as all my earlier tests.

Our normal kickstarts cover all the things you suggested so we have and most others have not see this issue yet.

But there definitely appears to be a problem with LVM being made available during the install phase after it was created and before the formatting takes place.

Adding a swap section to the lvm setup seems to be like a work around or requirement for now.

--
Michael Gale

Red Hat Certified Engineer
Network Administrator
Pason Systems Corp.

"It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer." - Albert Einstein