Re: crypto, readline and zlib libraries - Postgres install

Rudi Ahlers wrote:
Karl Jennings wrote:
I have the 5.x Centos DVD and loaded it.

Please be gentle with me, as I'm nominally a FreeBSD kind of guy... :)

Anyway, I'm trying to install Postgres and the three libraries in the subject line are missing off the base installation. I figured out how to load gcc using yum, but those libraries aren't there, and I need the former in particular in order to enable SSL for Postgres client connections. A perusal of "yum list" with an appropriate grep or two doesn't elicit anything useful.

Anyone know where I find these? I loaded just the standard distro, no graphical user environment (neither Gnome or KDB)

Thanks in advance.

Hi Karl

yum works in a similar way to BSD's ports, in that it can automatically download the needed dependencies. So, running "yum install postgresql" gives me the following:

Dependencies Resolved

============================================================================= Package Arch Version Repository Size =============================================================================
Installing:
postgresql x86_64 8.1.11-1.el5_1.1 updates 2.9 M
Installing for dependencies:
postgresql-libs x86_64 8.1.11-1.el5_1.1 updates 195 k

Transaction Summary
Install      2 Package(s)
Update       0 Package(s)
Remove       0 Package(s)

Total download size: 3.1 M
Is this ok [y/N]:

This means it will download all the packages (and they respective dependencies) for you and install it.

Running " yum search postgresql | more" gives me a list of all the different posgresql scripts (PHP, PERL, devel, etc) that can also be installed.

HTH

That doesn't help (I'm trying to built it from source)

Without readline, zlib and the crypto libraries you can't build the full 8.3 release....... and installing 8.1 as a distro doesn't get you the libraries you need to build.

Karl Denninger (karl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
http://www.denninger.net