Re: install LAMP

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008, Matt Shields wrote:

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 9:04 AM, Hiep Nguyen <hiep@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008, Matt Shields wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 8:52 AM, Hiep Nguyen <hiep@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> hi all,
>>
>>  i'm not an expert on linux/centos, but i play with it and have a general
>>  idea.  it's time for me to setup a centos box for development.  i rarely
>>  install anything from source, except a few times in college when i have to
>>  modify kernel for OS project.  but i guess i can learn now.
>>
>>  i just installed centos 5 with minimal installation.  next step is to
>>  install LAMP w/ SSL.
>>
>>  i found http://lamphowto.com/lampssl.html, but i have questions before i
>>  proceed.
>>
>>  is it better to install from source or rpm?  how easy it is to
>>  upgrade/update if install from source?  it seems so much easy to
>>  upgrade/update from rpm, well b/c i'm always do this way.
>>
>>  is there any other instruction (beside the one mentioned above) to install
>>  LAMP w/ SSL?
>>
>>  appreciate your help/suggestion
>>  t. hiep
>
> It's better to stick to the RPMs to make it easier to upgrade.  If you
> want an easy way to install LAMP you can run 2 commands
>
> yum -y groupinstall "Web Server"
> yum -y install mysql-server php-mysql
>
> This will get Apache, MySQL, and PHP all installed.

 is this include SSL???

Learn Yum, it's your friend.  If you don't know how to use it just
type "yum" and it will give you a list of options.  See how I used
"yum groupinfo" on the "Web Server" group.  One of the default
packages is mod_ssl.

[root@admin ~]# yum groupinfo "Web Server"
Setting up Group Process
Setting up repositories