Re: how to create a boot up sound / chime for servers?

on 2-29-2008 10:55 AM Rudi Ahlers spake the following:
Scott Silva wrote:
on 2-29-2008 2:54 AM Rudi Ahlers spake the following:
Hi

I see some distro's, like Ubuntu has a nice short chime / sound when a machine is fully booted.
How / where can I setup, activate, or create such a boot up sound?

Do you want something using the system speaker, or the soundcard?
If through system speaker, there is a utility called "beep" (http://www.johnath.com/beep/) You can put it at the end of rc.sysinit (or just call it last in whatever way you see fit) and not only beep, but play tunes. Only limited by your imagination.

Awesome, thanx :) Google didn't turn up anything usable. And yes, I want to use the system speaker, since it will be on servers, which generally don't have monitors, nor external speakers on the soundcard.

If you want some examples of use, look at the router dist ipcop. It uses beep to play a few notes when it is up, and a different "tune" when it goes down. Playing 15 or 20 notes would be easier to notice than one single tone.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and