Re: ext3 errors

William L. Maltby wrote:

'fsck -y' seems to fix it up, but it keeps happening. Is this likely to be leftover cruft from the hardware issues or are there problems in ext3/raid1/sata drivers? The way backuppc stores data with millions of hardlinks in the archive it isn't really practical to copy it off, reformat, and start over.

If you use cpio, it can handle the hard links intelligently, IIRC. That
may make this more feasible. Plus you can specify such things as depth
to the find command feeding cpio so that even directories end up with
good dates.

Handling them intelligently and in a reasonable amount of time are 2 different things. The last time I tried to copy a backuppc archive much smaller than this I gave up after 3 days - and I've tried most of the possible file-oriented ways to do it, including cpio. Normally I raid-mirror to another drive and remove it for offsite copies, but if there are filesystem errors that fsck won't fix, they are going to be propagated in an image copy.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx