Re: Reg. VNC server and Windows and Centos interworking

Padmaja wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for such a fast response. I typed vncserver at the command line and it asked me for a password. It said I would require password to enter the desktop. I did not set any before so gave some dummy password. It again showed Verify and I typed the same password again. Then the screen showed something like

for user padmaja, the startup script is in /home/padmaja/.vnc/Xstartup
the startup applications are in /home/padmaja/.vnc/Xstartup
the log file is in /home/padmaja/.vnc/sipserver.com.log

After this I typed ps aux and saw that there is a Xvnc running againt pid 11435.

Now, I tried to connect to the Centos PC from Windows using Vnc client and it gave the error

"unable to connect to host: connection refused (10061)."

I cant understand what the issue is. I am however able to connect to Windows PCs from VNC on windows.

Vncserver creates separate desktops for each instance and should have given you a 'screen number" when you started it - probably :1 for the first one. Then you have to specify the matching screen when you connect from the client: hostname:1. If you have the firewall running on Centos, you have to permit the appropriate port in ( 5900 + screen number). If you are expecting to access the desktop running on the console you need a different approach. KDE and Gnome have 'screen sharing' options for the running desktop.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx