Re: dovecot/procmail w/maildir format?

Paul Heinlein wrote:

Does anyone have a handy example or howto pointer for the matching config changes needed to make sendmail/procmail deliver in maildir format in home directories and for dovecot to access it there?

The key is ensuring that there's a trailing forward-slash on all directory paths. :-)

We deliver all mail to $HOME/maildir; /etc/procmailrc reads

  #
  # /etc/procmailrc
  #
  # unless otherwise specified by a user's ~/.procmailrc, all inbound
  # messages are delivered to a users ~/maildir folder. the trailing
  # slash is important: it indicates Maildir (not mbox) format.
  DEFAULT=$HOME/maildir/

User procmailrc files run in the same vein, e.g.,

  # user .procmailrc
  MAILDIR=$HOME/maildir

  :0
  * ^List-Id:.*<centos\.centos\.org>
  .mailinglists.centos/

For Dovecot, the key directive is mail_location:

  mail_location = maildir:%h/maildir

The dovecot.conf file also has some maildir-specific directives; I make sure maildir files are copied with hard links (which won't work over NFS):

  maildir_copy_with_hardlinks = yes

Does that help?

Yes, thanks. I sort-of understand the concepts but it is always good to have known-working examples to get the syntax right.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx