Re: ls : not UTF-8 compliant?

on 2/20/2008 3:14 PM Mufit Eribol spake the following:
Michael A. Peters wrote:
Mufit Eribol wrote:
Sorry bugging you for this simple command.

ls command displays question marks for the local characters (ones not included in 8859-1 space) in filenames.

ie.
[root@server aa]# touch �arp
[root@server aa]# ls
??arp
[root@server aa]# ls -b                    #for octal escapes
\303\247arp
[root@server aa]#

However, ls|less, ls|more or vi <directory name> all display filename correctly. Also, the <tab> completes such filenames in the correct way. Even, logsave command for the ls output prints the right characters.

So, I assume the filesystem keeps the filenames in UTF-8 encoding, but somehow ls can not show them properly.

Any workaround or a replacement for ls? BTW The system is Centos 5.1 and locale shows the encoding as UTF-8.

Thank you.

Works for me.

[mpeters@jerusalem tmp]$ touch �arp
[mpeters@jerusalem tmp]$ ls
�arp
[mpeters@jerusalem tmp]$ echo $LANG
en_US.UTF-8
[mpeters@jerusalem tmp]$
Interesting! Perhaps it is a quirk of ssh using PuTTY. I haven't tried it on the monitor connected. Did you try in on the monitor and CLI (no X, no Gnome etc)?
Remember that putty defaults to an iso character set unless you change the defaults.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and