Raid controller issue under CentOS 5.1

I have an LSI 8888ELP with an external enclosure and two arrays in it. I needed some quick storage so I put two drives in some open slots and created a span. One drive failed, but I have seen multiple failures on this port so I suspected either a bad controller port/cable/backplane. I offlined the remaining good drive and removed them both, I reinserted them to see if the bad drive was bad and it would seem that made the system unhappy. I attempted to reboot at which point it hung partially through the reboot. I attached the messages log, can anyone shed some light on what happened?

Thanks for any guidance!
jlc