Re: Best way to install non-official packages?

Thorsten Kampe wrote:
Sooner or later everyone needs to install a package that is not included on the official installation CDs/DVD. Until now I just used rpmseek.com and Rpmfind.Net but of course this is far from optimal for security and compatibility to reasons.

So what is the recommended way to get and install "non official" packages that are not part of the repository?!

There are some 3rd party repositories I trust - such as EPEL.
I add their repo and yum install.

However - there are other packages not available.

I tend to grab the src.rpm - I then install the src.rpm in my local user directory and inspect the spec file. Often they need adjustment - especially if they use distro specific macros.

If I'm paranoid (don't trust the packager) I skim every patch and redownload the source from upstream.

Then I rebuild the src.rpm from my modified spec file - and then feed the rebuilt src.rpm through mock.