Re: OFF Topic: mysql installation problem

Ed Morrison wrote:
mouss wrote:
But there isn't a my.cnf file in /etc/

if you want one, you need to create it. the package installs example file that you can use.

In all my other mysql installs there has always been an /etc/my.cnf after the installation but you are correct this can be created easily enough but I think this represents a bigger problem.

Nor are there any files in:
[root@ftp ~]# ls /var/lib/mysql/
mysql  test
[root@ftp ~]# ls /var/lib/mysql/mysql/

looks ok. at some time, you'll need to do some post-install tasks to secure the server (mainly, set a password for the root user). see mysql site or google...

The same directories on another mysql installation. These files are there by "default". It appears to me this installation is not including all the files it should

# yum install mysql mysql-server php-mysql
# ls -a /var/lib/mysql
.   ..
# rpm -qf /etc/my.cnf
mysql-libs-5.0.54-1.el4.centos
# service mysqld start
Initializing MySQL database:  [  OK  ]
Starting MySQL:  [  OK  ]
[root@sushi lib]# ls mysql
ibdata1  ib_logfile0  ib_logfile1  mysql  mysql.sock  test

what I don't see in your setup is mysql-libs.

[root@postman ~]# ls /var/lib/mysql
ibdata1  ib_logfile0  ib_logfile1  mysql  mysql.sock  test

[root@postman ~]# ls /var/lib/mysql/mysql
columns_priv.frm help_category.frm help_topic.frm time_zone.frm time_zone_transition.frm columns_priv.MYD help_category.MYD help_topic.MYD time_zone_leap_second.frm time_zone_transition.MYD columns_priv.MYI help_category.MYI help_topic.MYI time_zone_leap_second.MYD time_zone_transition.MYI db.frm help_keyword.frm host.frm time_zone_leap_second.MYI time_zone_transition_type.frm db.MYD help_keyword.MYD host.MYD time_zone.MYD time_zone_transition_type.MYD db.MYI help_keyword.MYI host.MYI time_zone.MYI time_zone_transition_type.MYI func.frm help_relation.frm tables_priv.frm time_zone_name.frm user.frm func.MYD help_relation.MYD tables_priv.MYD time_zone_name.MYD user.MYD func.MYI help_relation.MYI tables_priv.MYI time_zone_name.MYI user.MYI
An rpm query shows everything should be installed:
[root@ftp ~]# rpm -qa mysql
mysql-5.0.54-1.el4.centos
[root@ftp ~]# rpm -qa mysql*
mysqlclient14-4.1.22-1.el4s1.1
mysqlclient10-devel-3.23.58-9.2.c4
mysql-5.0.54-1.el4.centos
mysqlclient10-3.23.58-4.RHEL4.1
mysql-server-5.0.54-1.el4.centos
mysqlclient10-3.23.58-9.2.c4
mysql-libs-5.0.54-1.el4.centos

Trying to start mysql results in:
[root@ftp ~]# service mysqld start
Timeout error occurred trying to start MySQL Daemon.
Starting MySQL:  [FAILED]

Thoughts?

is selinux enabled on your system? check /var/log/messages.
No selinux is not enabled:

# This file controls the state of SELinux on the system.
# SELINUX= can take one of these three values:
#       enforcing - SELinux security policy is enforced.
#       permissive - SELinux prints warnings instead of enforcing.
#       disabled - SELinux is fully disabled.
SELINUX=disabled
# SELINUXTYPE= type of policy in use. Possible values are:
#       targeted - Only targeted network daemons are protected.
#       strict - Full SELinux protection.
SELINUXTYPE=targeted