Re: Backing up remote system

Scott Ehrlich wrote:
I have an Overland Arcvault tape library, a CentOS 5 box, a Windows XP system, and RAID box that supports NFS and CIFS.

The RAID box is remotely located and acts as central file storage.

I might normally use dump to perform backups, but as was learned here, and on dump's man page, dump doesn't support remote file systems such as NFS or CIFS.

So, for now, I've connected the library to a Windows XP system, running Service Pack 2. I have a shell script that tar gz's the directories of choice to preserve, places them in /backup, and, via samba's config of making /backup available, have it mounted as a drive letter on the XP system. I'm then using XP's built-in backup/restore program to store the contents of /backup to tape, and that is working fine for now.

Is there a reliable Linux/CentOS-based way to do this, too? I know people keep saying use Amanda and/or bacula and be done with it, but in the event something goes wrong and the mysql, etc database gets corrupt, and people want their data back, it would be much easier to use a readily-available command, like cpio, tar, etc, to do the job.

For mysql, I strongly using MySQL's mysqldump or a wrapper to backup the DB, then put it to tape.