domain name display issue in linux pc

Hi,

Thanks for your response on the kernel switching. I was away and could not reply immediately.

Right now, I am facing a different issue. I have to set up DNS server using BIND on Centos 4.3. When I type the hostname on Centos, it shows:

sipserver.vodcalocal.com

But the cli prompt has root@sipserver ~ meaning only the sipserver part of the hostname is displayed. why is this so? What is the actual hostname then? I see in the

/etc/sysconfig/network that the hostname is sipserver.vodcalocal.com

the /etc/hosts file has the following content:

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost sipserver

192.168.50.51 sipserver.vodcalocal.com

The /etc/sysconfig/network has the following config:

NETWORKING=yes

HOSTNAME=sipserver.vodcalocal.com

I have seen in many forums that the /etc/sysconfig/network file has many other entries like domain name, gateway type, gateway ip etc, which are not present in my configuration.

when i type $ domainname,

i get--

(none)

$ domainname -d

vodcalocal.com

$ domainname -f

sipserver.vodcalocal.com

Why does not the command domainname list the domain name? also domainname -f and domainname -d display different results. can the machine have the domainname and hostname same if I am going to run dns server on it?

I run a SIP server on this PC which needs the domainname set but whenever I type echo $DOMAIN_NAME, it shows blank and I have to export the path variable DOMAIN NAME and set it. On another screen, I again dont see the domain name set. How to set the domain name across all terminals and sessions and restarts?an

Thanks

Padmaja