Re: 64 bit and 32 bit are mixed up

Jim Perrin wrote:
On Feb 7, 2008 7:57 AM, Centos <centos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello

I have installed Centos 5.1 on 64 bit servers, and I see some of the
packages have been installed two times,
one for i386 and one for 64 bits. I don't know why i386 packages can be
installed on 64 bit machine and why they
should come together, even some times when I am searching yum repository
, I see i386 and x64
packages. shouldn't the search result depend on server architecture ?

For pure environments, yes. However there's an exceptionally large
number of folks who want to run 32bit applications on 64bit systems.
For this to work, some 32bit packages are required, which is why
you're seeing what you're seeing.

I would also like to point out that we just copy which i[3,6]86 RPMS that the upstream people put into the x86_64 tree to make the filelists the same as upstream.

While I personally would rather have them separate, our GOAL is to provide an experience that is as close as possible to upstream ... SO :-)

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes