Re: dhcp & squid

on 2/1/2008 11:17 AM Gregory P. Ennis spake the following:
On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 10:21 -0800, nate wrote:
Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
Everyone,

I have set up squid as a proxy http server in order to filter web access
for an office that wants to block certain web sites.

Is there a way to use the dhcpd server to assign the squid server and
port number 3128 to each Linux desktop when they boot using the existing
dhcpd server.  Or do I need to change each user's network preference
setup in firefox.   The dhcpd server and squid are on the same server.
Have you considered setting up squid as a transparent proxy so all
HTTP requests go through it instead of configuring the clients to
use the proxy? It'd be more secure anyways considering not everything
has configuration to use a proxy.

nate

Nate,

Thanks for the suggestion... that was a much easier approach.  There
were some previous posts in November of last year that had some good
references.  I have everything working as I had hoped.

I would still be interested to know if the dhcp servers could be used
for this kind of thing.

Greg
I know that windows machines won't pick up any option like this from DHCP. You have to use the proxy.pac which I could never get working quite right from anything but a microsoft proxy server. A transparent filter works better anyway, as your users will have a harder time bypassing it.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and