Re: rsync and swapping

Jerry Geis wrote:
hi all,

I use rsync to copy/backup ALL my stuff to another disk.

When I run this seems like my machine (4 GIG ram centos 5.1)
now begins to swap out more programs. Is there a way to reduce
that swapping? I am running with echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness

I simply mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/backup; mkdir /mnt/backup/month.day.year
then rsync -a /home /mnt/backup/mon.day.year

This is approximately 102G of data.

It's the number of files in the run that matters more than the amount of date. Rsync loads the entire directory listing into RAM before starting to copy so there is a certain amount of per-file overhead. It should help if you could break the run up, perhaps doing a few directories separately, then make another pass that excludes those directories.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx