Re: Unknown rootkit causes compromised servers

Chris Mauritz wrote:
Alfredo Perez wrote:
I will add to that list, change ssh port 22 to somthing else

Why?  Most of the script kiddies now check all the higher ports for ssh
too.  Moving ssh's port around solves nothing.

Actually, I have to disagree.

SOME of the script kiddies check higher ports for SSH *_BUT_* I only see 4% of the brute force attempts to login on ports other than 22.

I would say that dropping brute force login attempts by 96% is quite a good reason to move the SSH port from 22 to something else.

It is certainly not the only thing you need to do, but it is nonetheless a good thing to do.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes