Re: boot slow at "Applying ip6tables firewall rules"

Dan Halbert wrote:
I have a fairly vanilla install of Centos5 on a desktop box (with a Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5752 Gigabit NIC). When booting, the boot process hangs at "Applying ip6tables firewall rules" for 30-60 seconds before proceeding, which is annoying. I have not tried to turn off ipv6 networking. I guess I could, but is this slowness to be expected? Is it waiting for some ipv6 response?

# chkconfig ip6tables off

will probably stop this from occurring. looks like /etc/init.d/ip6tables invokes /etc/sysconfig/ip6tables-config then if it finds them, /etc/sysconfig/ip6tables .. the -config file just sets some environment variables, so probably doesn't take more than a blink, while /etc/sysconfig/ip6tables is going to attempt to set whatever firewall rules are in there.