Re: Re: Worth upgrading desktop to 5.1?

Sean Carolan wrote:
So, yes there are deeply compelling reasons to upgrade. If you want to have patches for several kernel buffer exploits, as well as many other security and functionality patches, you need to do one thing;

yum upgrade, and answer yes.

Or even easier;
yum -y upgrade.

When I have some time to re-compile VMWare server modules, my graphics driver, vpn client and wifi driver I may consider updating. If in the meantime a pack of ninjas breaks in and owns my box with a local buffer overrun exploit, well, you can't say I wasn't warned.

If you want to keep your existing kernel for a while, just change the grub default back after the update installs the new one. Then you can switch, reboot, and rebuild the necessary stuff whenever you have a chance.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx