Re: PHP 5.2.5 when ?

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 at 8:03am, Mark Weaver wrote

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 04:05:56 -0600
Johnny Hughes <johnny@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

ummm ... the answer is probably never.

Red Hat offers a RHWAS ... that has a php5 for EL4.  The version of
php in there (and in our CentOSPlus repo) is php-5.1.6 ... it might
go higher than that, but I doubt it will go to 5.2.x.  If it does go
there in RHWAS, it will also go there in CentOSPlus, but I would not
hold my breath :-D

My question would be, "good god...why?" There are a ton of security
holes in php5. From experience one of the holes I'm painfully aware of
is php-cli which installs by default with the rest of php5.

Even an exteremely brief search of the archives of this list would turn up tons of similar questions, and the same answer every time -- Red Hat backports security fixes to the stable version of packages in their Enterprise distro. That's why, e.g., for it's entire 5 year supported life, RHEL5 will be based on kernel 2.6.18. However the base kernel will be heavily patched for security, driver upgrades, and new hardware support. They treat all packages (including PHP) similarly.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin