Re: Nic order detection

MatsK wrote:
Les Mikesell wrote:
I have a number of machines that have 4 NICs, two of which are actually in use, running Centos 5. When they are rebooted, they seem to change the eth interface names, assigning them in different orders. I'm a little fuzzy on the details because they are at a remote location and I can't access them easily - especially after the network breaks. Shouldn't:
alias eth0 bnx2
alias eth1 bnx2
alias eth2 e1000
alias eth3 e1000
in /etc/modprobe.conf always make the intel cards eth2 and 3?

Noop, this is done with ifcfg-ethX where X is the if number.

Create a /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-eth0 that look like this example:

DEVICE=eth0
HWADDR=00:01:23:45:67:89
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
IPADDR=192.168.1.154
GATEWAY=192.168.1.1

and then create ifcfg-eth1, ifcfg-eth2, ifcfg-eth3

then do a "service network restart" to activate the settings.

I do have the ifcfg-ethX files for the 2 interfaces that are currently active, but since the machines were built by image copies of a master disk, they do not have HWADDR address entries. A person on-site with access to the console adjusted them if they didn't come up right the first time, but they seem to shift around on each reboot. Will adding the HWADDR entry nail them down even if it doesn't match the nic type specified in modprobe.conf? Can someone point me to the code where this happens? Until recently the machines were running centos 3.x and this seems to be a difference in behavior.

In my experience, adding the HWADDR line to your ifcfg-ethX files will tie the network interface to the right card, regardless of modprobe.conf entries. I usually remove HWADDR lines when anaconda provides them at install time because if I replace a nic (which obviously has a different MAC address) without updating the HWADDR line, the interface fails to start. In cases where modprobe.conf is unable to order the interfaces as I want it to, I add HWADDR lines. Works every time.

Hope this helps.

Barry