Re: Slightly OT: Dual-booting two Linux dists

Bart Schaefer wrote:
On Jan 9, 2008 3:26 PM, Tru Huynh <tru@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
* I keep a standalone small /boot (primary partition) with grub
which is booted by the MBR.

So what files are in that /boot?  Just the "grub" subdirectory?  Is
that partition actually mounted as a filesystem on /boot in any of the
linux installs?

Files that go in /boot are usually just kernel images, their related initial ramdisk images and grub related files.

As naming of kernels between Centos and Ubuntu are very likely to be different, having the two installations to share a /boot should not be a problem.

I suggest first installing one of them and then making a copy of the menu.1st|grub.conf file in case the installation of the second OS just overwrites it. If it does get overwritten, you can copy the relevant lines for the first installation from the copy.