Re: Switching To Raid1

Matt wrote:
I have this ASUS M2NBP-VM motherboard http://tinyurl.com/3xby3h
running CentOS 4.4 as a web/email server.  It has a 500Gb SATA2 drive
with about 32Gb in use.

The motherboard supports hardware raid.  Is there a way to switch to
RAID1 without reinstalling or loosing any data?

This is probably what we call 'fake raid'. Better use software than trying to get it to work with linux. End result will be the same anyway.

Also, if I am running raid how do I know if there is a failure on one
of the drives anyway?  Is hardware RAID1 a good idea?

Matt

In software raid, mdadm sends an e-mail to root when a disk fails. In (real) hardware raid, it depends of the make/model, but most can be configured to send emails when there is a problem.
RAID1 is always a good idea, especially for servers.

Ugo