Re: max mount count incovenient

Linux Man wrote:
Hello group
I added a new partition in fstab, and works without a problem.
I used mkfs.ext3 to create the partition.
My problem is that every 26 boots, the system tells that the partition
have no been checked since 26 systems boots, ant start to check my new
partition. This is a lot of time consuming, and always is in a bad
time.
There some way to do the check in a controlled time? i.e. do it the
check before 26 system boot, when the time is no problem.

Disable auto fsck completely:

tune2fs -c 0 -i 0 /some/file/system

I only do this on systems that are reinstalled periodically (workstations, laptops - I use OS such as Fedora or Ubuntu with a short release cycle) when the drives are actually formatted during the reinstall.

It is probably not a good idea to disable auto fsck on servers, or on any other systems that are not reinstalled often or run OS with a long release cycle (CentOS).

The reason is - if you don't verify a filesystem for a very long time, it will eventually blow up in your face. I believe (but not sure) that Ubuntu uses, or will use in next versions, something like this:

tune2fs -c 0 -i 6m

Which means: auto fsck once every 6 months.
Since I upgrade the OS more often than once a year anyway, I chose to disable auto fsck completely on that kind of machines. No problems so far, but I wouldn't risk waiting more than 1 year.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/