Re: Re: Fwd: Securing Linux laptops

--On Tuesday, January 08, 2008 11:39 AM -0800 Scott Silva <ssilva@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

One could also set up a script that automatically sends an e-mail
message when the laptop boots, and perhaps periodic e-mails from
cron.  This could provide at least the IP address from which the
mail was sent which could help locate it.

If I was in the business of stealing laptops, I would be looking at the
system   unconnected to the world so as to look for traps like this. Most
laptops are stolen for the hardware value.

Which is why you want to send the message delayed after boot, not immediately. Don't holler for help until your kidnapper is out of the room or you know your rescuers will hear you.

A possibility is to piggyback your cry in an innocuous protocol. For example, a DNS lookup to a particular domain name.