Re: Re: Live CD Planning systems

Jason Pyeron wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:centos-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Robert Moskowitz
Sent: Monday, January 07, 2008 20:02
To: CentOS mailing list
Subject: Re:  Re: Live CD Planning systems

Jason Pyeron wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:centos-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Robert Moskowitz
Sent: Monday, January 07, 2008 19:25
To: CentOS mailing list

But the big looser with my dreams is running XP inside of XEN. You have to set up an LVM partition then install XP into it withing
XEN. And I
cannot touch that drive.
Have you tried Vmware?

We have used it many a time to mount a physical drive and boot it.
oh, I thought VMware had the same limitations. So the OS on the physical drive was installed directly with that OS, no touching it by VMware?

It is strictly hands off the drive in this case.

The existing computers were remove from their cpu/cases and installed as
extra drives in our VMWare hosts.

We then created new vm instances and pointed them to a the /dev/hdx
(physical drive) for the presentation of the guest OS.

Now for the caveats. Some Os'es and configs wont like the hardware change.
Are you allowed to clone the drive? If so the try with the clone first. If
not where are the ramifications of hosing the XP install (accidentally).
VMWare reccommends running a prep tool first (we don't use it).
Fortunately I am going the other direction. The XP drive stays in the system.

I will have a Centos install on a USB attached drive. To this I will add VMware to boot up and run the OS on that drive.

Well, thank you for this input. I will put it on sort of a back burner. I received company email saying that we will be getting Dell 630s later this month to fit in with the greater company standard. I am not happy to get an even larger unit.