From: centos-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:centos-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of Dan Carl
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2008 5:43 PM
To: centos@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject:  Migrating software raid from SUSE 9.0 to Centos 5

I have a SUSE 9.0 box with a software raid.
It consists of 6 IDE drives and three different controllers
The OS is on a separate drive.
What I want to do is put a new boot drive in load Centos on it.
Then I want to be able to mount the raid without loosing any of the data
on
it.
What information do I need from the SUSE OS (raid info etc...) to tell
Centos how to recognize it?
The data is backup on DVD's but it would be a real pain to reload it.(its
around a terabyte of data)
So I'm writing here for some advice.
I've setup many raids in the past but only fresh installs.
Thanks

After you do your base Centos install and 'yum update', do:
yum --enablerepo=centosplus update kernel
yum --enablerepo=centosplus install reiserfs-utils

Then reboot, and you should be able to mount the raid and add it to
/etc/fstab.

Ok but how does Centos recognise the ARRAY?
Is the Array's configuration stored some where?
SUSE uses raidtab.
The only raid type conf file on my other Centos boxes is /etc/mdadm.conf

If the partition type is FD, the kernel will autodetect and assemble it at boot time.

So you mean to tell me I just have to make sure reiserfs is installed, then
just mount like this in fstab
/dev/md0             /home/tera           reiserfs   defaults              1
2
#mount -a
and bang everything in done?
Something tells me it can't be that easy.

Before putting it in /etc/fstab, do a 'cat /proc/mdstat' to be sure that md0 really exists and includes the right underlying devices, but yes, it should be that simple.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx