Re: System drops off network after a few minutes

Joseph L. Casale wrote:
if it literally drops in a few minutes, run wireshark and leave it
capturing all traffic on the LAN interface until it craps. then stop the
capture, and look at the last set of packets.

John,
I am sure I can stoke this up, but how do I analyze the traffic after? Its sitting idle when this happens, so I suspect there shouldn't be much anyway!

wireshark shows the packets symbolically, in a tree form, where you can open up and examine the fields of any packet, most all protocols are formatted nicely. the traffic the last couple seconds before it dies could be quite interesting, and may well help you solve this.

you might capture the output of `ifconfig -a` both before and after it fails, and compare. is this using DHCP or static IP ?

are there any events related to networking at the end of the `dmesg` output right after it bonks ?