Re: Mail server setup for small ISP

Fajar Priyanto wrote:
On Friday 04 January 2008 00:09:06 Ugo Bellavance wrote:
I think that squirrelmail and
horde would do a good job for webmail.

	There shoudn't be any troubles having some redundancy for DNS, web
servers, mtas, but what about IMAP/POP? linux-HA?  MySQL replication
should be enough, I guess.  Or maybe linux-HA as well.  I wonder if I
should add GFS to the mix to have multiple IMAP/POP servers use the same
storage.  Or maybe IMAP proxies?

	Any insights welcome :).

Hi Ugo,
Congrats on your plan opening the ISP.

Thanks, but I will only be doing some work for them, I'm not opening the ISP myself...

For webmail, a professional touch would be nice for your customer. Instead of using plain squirrelmail, try using http://www.nutsmail.com/ instead.

Good Idea

AFAIK, redundancy for mail server seldom uses linux-ha/any other failover stuffs. It is most common to use 'backup MX' in DNS settings. So, when the main server in unreachable, the sender mail server would try to the secondary MX through DNS query.

That's the easy part, but where do you store the e-mail once you have accepted it? If the pop/IMAP server is down for a while, people won't be able to retreive their e-mail...