Re: mounting & partitioning Seagate FreeAgent external HD

James A. Peltier wrote:
Tim McGeary wrote:
Hi all,

As a disclaimer, I'm new to this list and very green administering CentOS. I run it on my test servers and do very basic networking and server administration (most users, permissions, and web app stuff).

I have a backup server that I am using rsync to collect important in-process file for our digital library from both Windows and Linux servers, as well as a specific applications which are updated on a separate test server.

This backup server ran out of space and I have no more internal slots available to add another disk, so I bought a 750 GB Seagate FreeAgent external USB hard drive. I've seen some various issues out there about how Seagate FA HDs go into sleep mode when used in the manner I want to, but all of the people posting about that seemed to be able to mount theirs with no problem.

I can see the device in my /proc/bus/usb/devices file, but fdisk -l doesn't show it at all. I was trying to mount and partition it using Webmin, but I can't figure out the device name I need to give it to mount and partition it. How is the best way to figure that out? This particular server is running CentOS 4.

Thanks,
Tim

If it's a brand new drive it will not have a valid partition table. A simple sudo /sbin/fdisk -l will show all drives and their partition tables. The one with an invalid partition table is the one you're interested in.

Sorry, just read again and noticed that fdisk did not show you anything. :(