Re: Firewall frustration

Mark Weaver wrote:

On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 08:57:22 -0500
Robert Moskowitz <rgm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Have you ever thought about how rare floppy drives are now?  At best
you go with a bootable usb, if your notebook supports bootable USB.
My Libretto does have a bootable floppy, but that is something extra
to carry.  It will not boot from anything else (besides its HD).  My
nc4010 (this notebook) will boot from usb.  My corp notebook (nc2400)
is locked down; and I don't see any value at getting corp IT bent out
of shape.

why would you even think about using a Notebook computer as a firewall?
I was assuming you were going to delegate this task to an older machine
with sufficient resources to handle the task and not give the task to a
notebook computer.
Of course in my lab, the firewall is a 'older' machine. But I want to learn from this so that when I am at a conference or trade show and need a firewall 'fast', I can put up the services on one of my Centos notebooks.

BTW, WRT 'older' machines. I am looking more at the cost of running these machines (power draw). It is not just a matter of the $0.124/KWH that I pay, but the cost to add another circuit (my NOC shares two circuits that were already runnning at 50% utilizatoin), and the cost of cooling in the summer (we added a tap into the cold air return system by the rack fans to capture the computer heat for the winter).

I just got the firewall running (see later note) on a decTOP micro PC that I pulled the 10Gb 3.5" drive and installed a 2.5" 6Gb drive. The system pulls about 10W! Compared to ~100W for some of my Compaq SFFs. Let's see 90W/day = 2.16KWH = ~$0.27/day = ~$97.76/year. That can pay for replacing another old Compaq with another decTOP (well not really as you have to add memory, switch out drives, and add a second USB ethernet dongle; guess the ROI is around 2 years).