VooDoo3 = no joy

I posted this in the support forum but I suspect I may have better luck here.

Old home built PC that has a 3dfx VooDoo3.

When I tried installing CentOS 5 on it - the graphical installer would freeze just after starting X - but cli install worked just fine. The failing power supply on the old CRT finally completely died, so I bought a new Dell flat panel (1908FP) and hooked it up. With a new monitor that works, I decided to try X and got no joy - same symptom as the graphical install, completely frozen X display very shortly after starting the X server.

The box isn't frozen, I can still ssh in - but keyboard/mouse are frozen (IE impossible to ctrl-alt-FN to switch to a virtual console).

The X log in /var/log/ did not have anything that looked like an error - so I ran

startx > foo.log 2>&1

and I did get what looks like some error messages - attached as text file.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I may see if I can replace the video card, I suspect finding a video card for this old style of AGP isn't going to be easy, so I'd prefer to have a solution to the VooDoo 3 issue.

VooDoo 3 did work with X11 in Fedora Core 6 - the OS I ran before installing CentOS 5.

CentOS install is up to date, only CentOS packages that have replaced by non CentOS packages are sox and php (and yes, I'm certain of that).

Thanks for any suggestions.
xauth:  creating new authority file /home/admin/.serverauth.3217

X Window System Version 7.1.1
Release Date: 12 May 2006
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.1.1
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.9-42.0.3.ELsmp i686 Red Hat, Inc.
Current Operating System: Linux jerusalem.mpeters.local 2.6.18-53.1.4.el5 #1 SMP Fri Nov 30 00:45:16 EST 2007 i686
Build Date: 10 November 2007
Build ID: xorg-x11-server 1.1.1-48.26.el5
	Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
Module Loader present
	(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Fri Dec 28 00:09:24 2007
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(EE) TDFX(0): [dri] tdfx DRI not supported in 32 bpp mode, disabling DRI.
localuser:admin being added to access control list
No profile for user 'admin' found
SESSION_MANAGER=local/jerusalem.mpeters.local:/tmp/.ICE-unix/3238

** (eggcups:3308): WARNING **: IPP request failed with status 1030

** (eggcups:3308): WARNING **: IPP request failed with status 1030
Introspect error: The name edu.duke.linux.yum was not provided by any .service files
Unable to connect to yum-updatesd.  Please ensure that the yum-updatesd
package is installed and that the service is running.
Initializing nautilus-open-terminal extension
Unable to open desktop file /usr/share/applications/openoffice.org-1.9-writer.desktop for panel launcher: No such file or directory
Unable to open desktop file /usr/share/applications/openoffice.org-1.9-impress.desktop for panel launcher: No such file or directory
Unable to open desktop file /usr/share/applications/openoffice.org-1.9-calc.desktop for panel launcher: No such file or directory
X: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/tdfx_drv.so: undefined symbol: getsecs
Window manager warning: Lost connection to the display ':0.0';
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
the window manager.
The application 'pam-panel-icon' lost its connection to the display :0.0;
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
the application.
The application 'nm-applet' lost its connection to the display :0.0;
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
the application.
The application 'nautilus' lost its connection to the display :0.0;
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
the application.
xinit:  connection to X server lost.
The application 'gnome-panel' lost its connection to the display :0.0;
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
the application.

** (gnome-panel:3298): WARNING **: panel-applet-frame.c:1287: failed to load applet OAFIID:GNOME_ClockApplet:
Unknown CORBA exception id: 'IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0'
The program 'gnome-panel' received an X Window System error.
The error was '164'.
  (Details: serial 40035 error_code 164 request_code 144 minor_code 184)