Re: Help with dump/restore

Scott Ehrlich wrote:

I tried tar, but it complained about some things, so I'm now looking at rsync.

Tar is probably right to complain about some things. Try to understand them - they may or may not be important. Rsync is meant to copy disk-disk, perhaps over a network, but it isn't going to work with tape.

I want to back up to our Overland LTO3 tape library connected to the server via a SCSI card. One filesystem is /home, and the other is /var.

I'd want to create a full backup, with verbose output, and weekly incrementals.

Tar should work fine for this. You could automate with amanda or bacula, but for a single host it is probably easier to just schedule the tar commands.

Again, files may be in-use during backups - no databases in use at this time. I just have to live with the in-use files situation.

That's normally not a problem other than getting whatever state you happen to catch in an active file.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx