boot hangs on trying to start sendmail

I am building a new server.  It will be a temporary firewall of sorts.

I am well into the config, made a lot of changes; almost ready to set it up in the target networks, but now....

The system hangs trying to start sendmail. I was thinking hard about disabling sendmail, but thought I needed it for internal functions, so did not. yet.

So is there someway to get the system working so I can change something like disable sendmail?

The system has no cdrom, diskette, etc. In fact the kybd/monitor require a special temp setup. Perhaps I can edit the kernel line in grub to disable something?

If necessary, I can pull the drive and put it in a system that does support cdrom. That is the way I did the initial harddrive install.