Re: Install question

<snip>

My questions are several.

1) The build hardware is only a single processor with 768MB of memory (also a P3) what if anything will I need to do to enable the second processor? (I'll make provisions for a larger swap space at build time)

I believe in CentOS 5, due to the popularity of hyperthreaded and dual core cpus, the base kernel is smp-enabled. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong

2) The build hardware won't have a second disk usable for RAID, is it possible to build the RAID as degraded during the install? Or am I better off building it as a non RAID system and transfer everything to a RAID disk later?

I would do the latter. I've not tried building a raid, degrading it and then using it only to add another disk later, although in theory it could be done, I believe.

3) The system bios will allow me to boot off the network, can I do an install from that boot? there is no CD/DVD reader in the box, nor is there a floppy drive. USB (flash?) may possible, but it is USB1.0 (1.1?) and quite slow and I'm not 100% positive the BIOS will support booting from a USB device.

Yes.  Check out cobbler <http://cobbler.et.redhat.com/>

Any other caveats to be aware of? My experience with linux has been several Fedora (core) releases some Redhad releases prior to that, and many many many years ago slackware (when the install was a stack of diskettes!)

Nope.  I think you'll be fine.

Welcome to CentOS!

Barry