Re: "multi-boot" drive partitioning

Frank Cox wrote:
On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 13:44:38 +1000 (EST)
"redhat@xxxxxxxxxxx" <redhat@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Have you thought about virtualization ? What hardware are you planning on running this on ?

It's a new Intel Pentium Core 2 machine.

I don't want to complicate this thing any more than I have to.  I want to be
able to put this machine in the corner and tell the guy who owns the place
that if his webserver quits, he can put the spare online and hit "1", if the
application server quits, put it online and hit "2" and so on.  And 4
independent and separate Centos installations sounds like the easiest way to
accomplish that, if I knew how to partition the disk.

the problem with that, any configuration changes, updates, etc on the live server won't be replicated on the backups.

instead, I think I'd configure -one- OS that stays on, and can run any one of the application loads on demand (service start mywebappmess). this way any configuration changes can be replicated to the spare for each of the servers. its a simple matter for the server to enable a different IP on demand.

of course, you could put all thsi under control of heartbeat and have a real cluster :D